Saturday, January 14, 2012

Reducing Mini-Cheats

I awoke at 8:30 and got moving on the treadmill - walked .25 at 4.3 then jogged .25 at 5.0 then ran .25 at 6.3 walked again for 1 lap then ran 2 laps at 6.3 then cooled down with a lap jog at 5.0 and a cool down lap. Total Workout: 2.0 miles in 319cals 1%. So I have finally realized the treadmill's calorie calculation must be something not-entirely-sensical - because how can my walking burn more calories than my running? Shouldn't running burn more calories? Yet when I run the treadmill tells me I burned less than when I walked. I imagine its cal-culations are based on distance and time (and incline?) - so if I am running it doesn't take as long and so it says I burned less. But nothing I can do about that - so I will pretend as though it has figured it all out and what it is telling me is true. Mainly because I have no desire to try to compute a more accurate/alternative calculation, and of course it makes me feel good to see whatever the number is that it tells me I burned.

I followed up my 2.0 miles with the Bob Harper Beginner's Weight Loss DVD again. This time I took fewer mini-cheats and almost kept pace with the hard parts. If I could get an arm rest in there during some of the exercises I feel as though I'd be golden, or at least bronze. I used my 5lb weights to start and then dropped it down to my 3lb weights for the rest of the time. Holding my body weight up via my arms is the most challenging part. I hope after some time I will at least get a few strong muscles out of all this effort. I feel stronger and more fit, that is, after I have recovered from the workout - so I fully expect that once I can reduce my mini-cheats to zero I will actually have some muscles and can try out another one of my Bob Harper DVDs.

New Miles: 2.0
Total Miles: 584.75
Miles Remaining: 515.25
Weight: 137.4

No comments:

Post a Comment