Sunday, February 19, 2012

Training Run

Though the weather was pretty decent I stepped outside after much hesitation and thought I'd run off. But I decided I was too cold. Also I couldn't figure out how to go about getting my minimum 5 miles in - whether to do most of my 3 mile loop and end at the track or come home and do the treadmill. But once I determined what was really holding me back was the chill in the air I smartly chose the treadmill for all of it.

I started out planning to do only 5.0. After a mile in and more around 3 miles in I finally felt decently warmed-up and in stride. On my way to mile 5 I decided I should go a minimum of 6 and if I do 6 I should at least do 6.5 since that'd be half of a Half. But I reminded myself not to get too far ahead of myself seeing that 6 miles was still a few miles ahead in the distance at the time. Block Party "I Still Remember" was the first song to get me committed to the run, Taylor Swift's "Should've Said No" provided a much needed boost a few miles in and later on Dierks Bentley's "Livin' Life on the Run" elevated me to the place where I knew I could keep going as long as I needed to. I also daydreamed about how to redecorate the Little Room of Big Accomplishments -- that mental, spatial visualization did get my eyes off of the boringness in front of me and zoned out to a place of moving furniture and interior decorating.

In fear of over doing it I told myself I should stop at 6. It would be a good mile marker to reach and wouldn't over extend myself. But of course later on I also had the thought that 7 miles would be a good mile marker to reach. Again I backed myself off and told myself I had to set a limit. My first lap was a walk into a 6.0 jog warm up followed by stretching. Then I sustained a run at 6.3mph. It truly was a run all day pace since once my body loosened and warmed up aI felt comfortable there the whole way thru. As I started jogging at 5.5mph after reaching 6.25 miles I felt that I wouldn't be cooled down in time by 6.5 and so I had better round out the mile at least. And so from 6.25 to 6.5 I jogged at 5.5mph but then I ran again at 6.3mph for another lap, brought it back down to 5.5 for a lap and then dropped it to 4.3mph for some running-type motions eased into a walk.

I used this run to also get myself into a mental place where I would be taking days off from running and walking entirely. Because to train for a Half I am going to need to rest my legs and lungs some days. And so this also contributed to my deciding to go that extra distance. I decided I would not walk tomorrow - though I allowed myself space to decide that if I felt up to it and I determined that a walk would actually help me recover faster then I would be allowed to walk.

Total Workout: 7.25 miles in 70:48 1136cals 1%.

After chugging some water and chocolate milk I did 100 crunches and my tired arms pushed myself up 20 times (in two sets of 10).

New Miles: 7.25
Total Miles: 678.75
Miles Remaining: 821.25
Weight: 134.4

No comments:

Post a Comment