Sunday, January 13, 2013

Outdoor Freedom

I attempted to wake up early but failed in that effort. After sleeping in until 10am I quickly changed, ate half a banana, then went outside. I was practically still asleep as I walked up the hill and stretched a few times. I was tight in my legs and I hoped I would loosen up by moving. I moved but no loosening followed.

My pace was slower than usual and I recognized it but could do nothing about it. I tried for a few moments and then my body said no. And so I listened. I told myself it was to just be a comfortable one; one where I just enjoy being outside and that running slower was actually better because I would be outside longer. I ran along, feeling each step and not that I had to force it but definitely as though I had to work for it. I reflected on some days this past year where I would run a lot of miles in the morning and then again later in the day. I wished I had kept that fitness. To make my wish come true though I needed to re-earn my fitness and put in the effort. I have not done a great job of keeping up the effort. These last few days have put me back on track. This run was a nice jolting reminder of the need to not get lazy.

I wore just shorts and a t-shirt (and my safety vest). I didn't bring any music, so it was just me and my thoughts for the run. It was so nice and calm and quiet and relaxing and fluid despite the uncooperative muscles. I asked my body to do this one little thing today - just give me 3 miles - and it reluctantly agreed.

As I went into the final stretch the kid that is usually out playing was outside, but playing with his dad. I've talked to this dad a few times - he runs (or used to run) half marathons - and he asked me how many miles I was doing. I said "Just 3" as though I could still do many. Inside I wish I had left off the "Just" as these 3 miles were fully earned and "3" could have stood on their own today. These "Just 3" felt like 10 hard miles pulled from the depths of energy-less legs. Funny how not fueling up your body or stretching it out or warming it up can make it difficult to get it to do what you want. But lucky for me my body did it anyways, under noisy protest. It didn't hurt or anything, I wasn't risking injury I don't think, I was just being unreasonable and was glad my body said I could enjoy the beautiful 60 degrees and let me take my time in seeing it.

Total Workout: 3.0 in 25:53.


New Miles: 3.0
Total Miles: 1306.0
Miles Remaining: 194.0
Weight: 129.2

No comments:

Post a Comment