Friday, January 25, 2013

Mental Tricks

In preparation to go out to Buffalo Wild Wings and eat bad food I went running. I struggled to motivate myself through 3 miles. But luckily at mile marker 3.25 when I was supposed to slow down I said "Do one more at 7.0 then you can jog". And when I got there I said "Do one at 6.5; that's not hard." and when that was done I said "Just do another one. This way your cool down lap will bring you to 4.0". And when I went to finish up the jog I told myself that I could at least keep going at 5.5 and so I did but then during it I went back up to 6.0. Towards the end of that lap I slowed it down a little bit, which allowed myself to say I needed to do another lap to have a proper cool down walking - and so after doing 4.25 I jogged for one minute at 5.0 and then I walked the lap. Total Workout: 4.5 miles in 41:50 702 cals 1%.

During the run I found that a great motivator was "Just do this for 30 more seconds that's all." or "Do 1 minute at this pace. Surely you can do that!" and so every time that amount of time was up I re-upped and said "What's another 30 at this pace." I started off slow but then did 2.0 solid at 7.mph. I then ran 1.0 miles at 8.0mph - and while it was difficult I got through it by saying "You just need to run for 10 more minutes" - I tried to watch the clock rather than think of the pace.

Basically, my run was just full of mental tricks to get myself to keep going. I am glad I can pull these mental tricks on myself to get me to continue. I wish I was still in a place where I didn't need them to get me through 3 or 4 miles, but since I am back in that place where 3 or 4 miles is actual work I am just glad that I can get myself to do the running that is good for me.

New Miles: 4.5
Total Miles: 1328.0
Miles Remaining: 172.0
Weight: 129.6

No comments:

Post a Comment