Saturday, March 24, 2012

YMCA Adventure Warrior 5K

Ryan and I slept over Bridgette's apartment, awoke at 5:30am, my brother Conor drove us to his friend Justin's house and then we all rode to the YMCA Adventure Warrior Race together. Mid-60s, rainy. We arrived at 7:20am for a 9:00am race - so we arrived with plenty of time to mentally prepare ourselves for the challenges that were ahead. Because once we got there they allowed us to check in and we received the rules and a 1.5 page-long list of all the adventures we would be having.

They sure packed a lot of challenges into the 5K course! A number of tasks were mandatory and some fortunately allowed you to select a teammate that would participate and many allowed you to take a time penalty rather than complete the challenge. It did nothing to allay my nervousness or turn it into excitement. Mainly it made me wonder what it was that I had gotten myself into. The part that made me feel better was having enough time between receiving the information and needing to race to come to terms with what I was about to have to do. And it made me feel better that other people racing didn't have as much time to come to accept it. But the best part of all was remembering Bridgette's common phrase of  "Life is an adventure!" and once I remembered that everything came into better focus and turned my attitude in the most positive of directions. I was about to have a lot of life thru the next 5K of adventures!

When we made our way to the starting line we had to stand around for 10 minutes to let the individuals take off. We were in the Teams group - Bridgette and Conor as one Team Mud Brothers; Ryan and me as the other Team Mud Brothers. (There will be mud!). The main guy running the event said "30 seconds!" and Bridgette said, "I want to start a slow clap." and she clapped. And then I clapped slowly. And soon a few more joined in and we had a good clap going with the 27 teams which wrapped up as we faded into the final countdown of "4, 3, 2, 1, [Foghorn]!"


Pre-Race Wait Period
We started by running on a gravelly path around a lake and then to the first challenge: Skunk's Hill (Challenge #1). An incredibly steep former ski-slope that went up, then up, then up and when you thought it couldn't get higher it went up yet again. Ryan and I had gotten ourselves into 3rd place heading up the hill and by the peak for the part you had to monkey crawl to get up the steep hillside we moved into 2nd place. I was the first girl (and 3rd person overall in the Teams) to reach the top - so that was my greatest accomplishment of the entire 5K. My goodness how my legs burned and how my lungs could not find all the air they wanted! We then received kindling and a book of matches. We were also to receive a map, but I forgot to get it as I was focused on getting water. I didn't remember I was to get a map until after we were done and Bridgette and Conor mentioned having to burn their map when trying to make the fire. (Oops!) Fortunately everything was well marked and the volunteers helped keep everyone on course, plus there was always at least one other team around to guide the way.


Running the Gravelly Path around the Lake

Conor reaching Skunk Hill's Summit
Surviving the "worst part of the course" (according to the one volunteer we met in the Lodge) we then moved into a downhill portion of slippery muddy ground with some scattered stones. Half way back down the mountain we moved to a "ZigZag" (Challenge #2) where we went up a steep section, back down a steep section, back up again, and then back down and then back onto the actual path in the woods. We kept going and jumped over 2 large logs (Challenge #3). Once out of the woods we reached a station where we had a Memory Challenge - recite something we had to memorize at the top of the summit. "To put Christian values into practice through programs that build a healthy spirit, mind, and body for all." (Challenge #4). At the time it seemed like an awful lot to memorize quickly. And then came the oddest part of the adventure - we received an egg to carry with us.
Dan and Justin zig-zagging

People Log Jumping

Memory Challenge

Then we went around part of the lake and to an Archery section where we had to pop a water balloon with an arrow (Challenge #5). The problem I had with this challenge was that I never used a bow and arrow before. So my second greatest accomplishment was that by the time Ryan finally popped a balloon I had figured out how to shoot an arrow using a bow. I actually got 2 on the target! And though it didn't mean anything in terms of the 5K challenge Ryan actually got a bull's eye!
Archery
We ran up a bit of a hill and then up a set of stairs (Challenge #6). This was by far the easiest challenge! ("Wait, go up a set of stairs or try to climb a slippery hillside? Stairs please!") Then we passed near the Lodge, crossed a field, and bounded into a different section of the woods. Where we reached the Traverse Wires (Challenge #7) - where Ryan balanced himself as he crossed 4 different wires, going from tree to tree. Then more woods running til we came to The Wall (Challenge #8). Ryan climbed it.

Traverse Wires


Ryan climbing the Wall

Justin and Dan tackling the Wall

Then we ran a few yards further and got to the Tire Swings (Challenge #9) where we found Bridgette and Conor, and Bridgette sitting almost helplessly on the second to last tire trying to get the momentum to swing to the final tire which was just out of reached. We received a stop watch so they could deduct the wait time from our overall time. Eventually Bridgette and Conor decided that Conor should give it a try and Conor got thru the tires what appeared to be effortlessly. A few teams later it was our turn and I gave the Tires a go. I did well thru the first 4 tires and then I turned into Bridgette. The final tire kept swinging just out of reach - and I held on to my tire, still with some momentum. I reached with my foot. I reached with my arm. I tried and tried but my arms got tired from holding onto the tire. Finally my arms were just too tired and I kept slipping and so I gave up and Ryan took over. Ryan made it thru rather easily. Not really a great personal accomplishment but at least I tried.

Bridgette swinging thru the Tires

A few more yards thru the woods and we saw Bridgette and Conor and many others working on completing the "Survivalist Challenge" - building a fire (Challenge #10). Very much to my surprise a number of teams had fires going. We found a semi-dry spot under a bench. Definitely second class to the prime location of the real fire pit. We took out kindling and our book of matches. We were given a bucket and we put water in it. We then rested our little egg on the ground as we tried to build a fire. The goal was to start a fire, boil the water, boil the egg then eat the egg. Apparently some teams succeeded at this. Bridgette and Conor gave up, took the 35 minute penalty and moved on. About 5 minutes later, after Ryan went thru a "birthing hole" aka tire in a tree so that he could get an extra box of matches and we successfully made a bunch of smoke, we too gave up. Justin and Dan actually completed the fire challenge and Justin ate the egg. He told us later that it was half raw. (Gross.)


Ryan and me not successfully making a Fire

See Justin and Dan on left building fire. Bridgette is in background.

The fire challenge was very frustrating. Building a fire is a very specific skill and difficult to do on any day but especially on a rainy day. I can take a physical challenge - if I fail I know it's because I didn't have the strength. But for something like building a fire I had to rely on a skill that I did not have. Great for people with this skill. But nothing that is easy enough to learn on the fly so not so great for Team Mud Brothers. I can figure out how to shoot a bow and arrow pretty quickly. I cannot figure out how to build a fire quite that fast.

We finally got out of the woods and came across the Log Roll station (Challenge #11). Ryan picked us out a small-ish log and we pushed it down an incline about 100 yards to the pile of logs which others had rolled. I discovered I am not very strong in pushing logs. I mean, I did it, but when I pushed with my hands it it didn't seem like all that much happened. When Ryan let me push to straighten out the log I could feel just how much work he was doing compared to how little my big efforts were accomplishing.

Log Roll

Immediately upon finishing the Log Roll we reached the Tire Carry station (Challenge #12). Where we were instructed to, "Pick a tire and carry it until someone tells you to put it back down." And then we ran along a path around the lake - the same one which was the first path we took. We reached the Low Crawl station (Challenge #13) where we went down a steep hill, pushed our tire in front of us as we crawled on the ground in the mushy grass while underneath a mesh. It was actually pretty easy since the ground was wet and the water let the tire easily be pushed along. We got out and had to climb back up the short steep hill. The volunteer instructed us to keep carrying the tire.

Low Crawl

Tire Carry
Great view of Skunk Hill in background - we carried the tires from here, around the lake, to the hill, then about half way up the hill.

We started up the base of Skunk Hill again and I thought we would stay low and just follow the lake around. There was no volunteer to tell us to go up the hill, but there were a few people ahead. I finally figured out the best way to carry the tire - cradled half resting on my shoulder, looped over my head, and the other half under my left arm resting on my hip. This made it easy to carry it up the hill. At this point we were with Justin and Dan and we kept running/walking fast and stayed out ahead of them by a little bit. As I started freaking out a bit about having to climb the hill again, Ryan urged me on. I was thankful for his encouragement as it did keep me moving my feet in the right direction despite my brain trying to get me to do otherwise.

After a bit of a climb we turned left, then we went parallel, then we turned right and had to climb again. But the Tire Drop station was in sight and a few more vertical feet later we got to get rid of the tire. (Yay!) The volunteer said "It's all down hill from here!" and I said "I hope so!" and then Ryan and I went off carefully running downwards across a field and back into the woods. As I was about to get on the woods path I wiped out. I didn't get hurt at all - just slid across mushy muddy ground for a bit. I got up and then Ryan and I made our way thru the woods, jumped over those logs again, and carefully hurriedly walk-jogged our way down the hill. We reached the bottom, traversed through a mini-creek (again), and got out of the woods. We ran thru a lot of water puddled in the grass (as it had really been pouring for a while at this point) and we crossed a bridge and rounded near the Archery station again. A volunteer shouted "Stay left this time" and we did and we ran the path near the lake and neared the finish line.

At this point I heard footsteps approaching but just focused on continuing my pace. I also heard Bridgette and Conor cheering for us - as they stood near the Finish area. As we went to climb the final hill near the Lodge and reach the finish line the footsteps suddenly were on top of us and Justin was sprinting by me. Ryan saw him and went into sprint mode too and Ryan beat him to the top of the final hill. I pushed it a bit but didn't sprint - I didn't hear a second set of footsteps so I knew Dan wasn't pushing to pass me. Near the top Justin slowed down a bit and my quicker yet steady pace was able to over take him and I passed him by right near the end. To cross the Finish Line you had to jump onto a slip-and-slide and slide thru the Finish. I happily jumped on and laid on my back and went down the hill right after Ryan. (Yay for being done!)

Sliding thru the Finish Line


A short time later Dan came up the hill then went thru the Finish. Justin then followed him down the hill, and nearly took out his own teammate at the bottom. But fortunately a collision was avoided but only by the smallest of margins. Then we all stood and talked for a few minutes, then made our way back up the hill, and went inside and grabbed some Gatorade. We got the event leader to take a picture of us. Then we made our way to the showers and cleaned up. (Yay for hot water showers!). Then we pulled up a seat at a table, ate some snacks, and waited for the rest of the teams to finish and for them to calculate the winners.

Conor, Bridgette, Ryan, Mo, Justin, Dan

Bridgette and Conor finished in 1:54:04. We finished in 1:53:?? (Official Time: 1 hour and 53 minutes. Subtract  35 minutes for the fire and that's more like our true time of running/adventuring/warrioring). Justin and Dan took 2nd place in the Guy's Team division! Then we ate a great lunch for just $5.

Us in the Lodge all nice and cleaned up

All in all it was a great experience. I would have liked it more without the Fire part since the winners ended up being everyone who could build a fire. But the adventures gained from doing something out of the ordinary and self-challenging was the greatest part.

As we sat around (after dancing to LMFAO's "Party Rock Anthem" all by myself in the Lodge) I reflected on a comment I overheard a volunteer dad tell his volunteer young (10 year old?) son as they were near us at the finish line waiting for the event to begin: "Maybe we do this together next year?" The son said something about not wanting to because they wouldn't be able to win it, and the dad immediately said: "It's not about winning it. It is about finishing it." I know it's been said before so it wasn't an earth shattering comment. But it was kind of like the dad said this to me to remind me that I was there to prove to myself that I could do what I set out to do. And I credit it to putting me in the right frame of mind for all of those challenges I found myself working through. And with all of the adventure behind me I finally remembered to say: Thank you God! Thank you for such a great adventure!

New Miles: 3.1 (5K)
Total Miles: 768.0
Miles Remaining: 732.0
Weight: N/A ...probably around 133.0 by the time I stopped eating...
Mud Brothers!

Map of the course

No comments:

Post a Comment