Sunday, March 11, 2012

Family Time

My sister and brother were going to go hill running together. During breakfast I talked with my other sister ans learned while at school she's be treadmill running for 30 minutes and so I said she should go along. After a few whirlwind minutes later she and I agreed to go and run the hills and then our youngest sister also said yes. Ryan didn't ewant to run but he said he'd walk our family's dog. So we packed into our cars and ventured south to meet up with our brother and his friend.

Note to self: Sprinting up hills as the first running activity is really hard. Don't do it. Or at least warm-up and stretch a bit first.

So the first part of the run was 460ft straight up a muddy hillside. It was at this point I realized that when my sister Bridgette said "Hill Running" that actual hills would be involved. I must have blocked out that bit before. Needless to say my legs were burning, my lungs were burning, and my pace walking up hill was faster than my run. After that it leveled off for a bit and then we found our way up and down more hills thru muddy parts and over fallen trees. Almost 2 miles in where we were supposed to have already completed the loop we realized we must have taken a wrong turn on the trail, and also that the trail just kind of died off and it was up to us to make it back down a hill to find a trail again.

It was tiring, but worth the suffering so that we can forever commiserate over what we all some how signed up for on a whim. Or I guess just two of my sisters and I really signed yup on a whim so we were the least prepared.

We found our way back to civilization and rounded it out with a few extra feet of running to complete 5K's worth of hill cross-country training. Total Workout: 3.1 miles in 42:13.

I got home and eventually psyched myself up to run more. I was to do 10.0 miles today, but after the hill work that was not going to happen. But I did muster up enough energy to go and do my 3.0 mile loop in 28:18. It was about 65 degrees and sunny and so I busted out a short-sleeved shirt and shorts for the run and was comfortable. How hot I felt also made me concerned that come warmer and hotter temperatures I am not going to fare so well. The heat definitely takes energy out of me more quickly and also I believe between yesterday and today I got a decent amount of sun and wind burn on my face.

New Miles: 3.1 (5K) + 3.0 = 6.0
Total Miles: 733.5
Miles Remaining: 766.5
Weight: 133.4

No comments:

Post a Comment