Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I ask myself Pi

The sun was very bright and warm and at lunch I got out into the 70 degree day (!) and walked 1.0 miles. I failed at helping someone locate a building they were looking for, but at least I tried. I said and/or waved "Hi" to a few people. So all-in-all another successful walk.

Eager to get home and run and get my prescribed "50 minute" run in I got changed and then used Map My Run to figure out a 5.0 mile running route. I took my 3.0 mile loop and found ways to change it up a bit and include some mini-loops within it to get the 2.0 extra miles I needed. I then headed out feeling super tight and tired but went slow and steady in the ~76 degree sunny night. I think I eventually loosened up, but I couldn't focus on very much past the parched-ness I felt and the burning in my legs after the up-hill portions. Every down hill bit was a welcomed relief.

It is not that I couldn't do the 5 miles - because I did, without stopping. It's just that it wasn't as pleasant as I know it could have been if I let my weak self stop and walk for a bit. I motivated myself to keep going by telling myself that when it came to the Half Marathon I would get a water break and thus a walking break - I'll have a few moments of a recovery rest - which is what I do rely on to keep going and feeling fine. So if I can do 5 miles non-stop sans water I am sure I can bang out 8.1 more miles if I gave myself stops and water.

On the final bit of the 5 miles I tried to push the run out and after glancing my time I put it in my head that I needed to complete the 5 miles in under 46:00 minutes to have it be a good run. So the final up hill, straight away, and down hill back to my driveway were pushed out -- not hard but at a quicker pace. When I saw I had 10 seconds to get down the rest of the hill I did push hard. I crossed the finish line of my driveway, stopped my watched, looked down and then said "Waha!" in victory. I finished with less than a second to spare. Total Workout: 5.0 miles in 45:59.

I then treated myself to gulps of good ol' water and then some water with raspberry lemonade propel. I walked up and down my driveway to cool down a bit, stretched a few muscles, and then enjoyed my accomplishment.

New Miles: 1.0 + 5.0 = 6.0
Total Miles: 740.5
Miles Remaining: 759.5
Weight: 132.8(AM)/131.8(PM)

No comments:

Post a Comment