Thursday, November 29, 2012

Leg Numbing Run

Lunch Walk in 41 degree sun; the sun felt very nice. Total Workout: 1.0

As Ryan was making dinner I putzed around talking about how I needed to run but didn't want to go out in the cold, but that I needed to go before the temperature dropped off for the night. He asked me how much I planned on doing. I told him I havd no idea I just needed to get out the door and at least get to the track and then I'd worry about figuring that out. I finally got changed and ready to leave and Ryan said he'd join me - which was super exciting! So we finally got out the door and the temperture was down to 39 degrees.

We went to the track and did 2 warm-up laps together and then some stretching. Ryan decided on his work out plan and I decided I might as well do the same thing - 400m repeats. Ryan said he planned to do 2.0 miles and I figured I would do 1.0 miles worth and then just run. At this point Ryan took off and I still gathered myself together to start running, so our schedules were just slightly overkapping in our rest periods between laps.

Lap 1: 1:40 - which felt fast but comfortable.

Lap 2: 1:30 - which felt fast but not terribly uncomfortable.

Lap 3: 1:20!!! - which felt impossibly fast, and the only thing that makes it possible is that I somehow did it. The first 200m felt decent enough, but then I think my body finally realized what I was doing to it and it was like "Abort! Abort!" so I dug in and still tried to run as hard as I could. But my legs started feeling a bit wobbly and my lugs started aching. As I neared the final 100m I knew I would be under 1:30 which excited me and so I told myself I had to push it out and I did. I gave it everything I could on my feeble, tired legs and crossed the line at 1:20! Then I hunched over a bit and took a few minutes to figure out how to breath again.

Lap 4: 1:25! - which was started while still trying to get my breathing back to normal from the previous lap. But I pushed it out and ran hard, knowing it would be my last hard lap. Thoughts of soccer camp and and competing against my teammates came through my head - and how I had felt after the "12 Minute Run" (where you needed to do 1.75 miles in that time) and then the 40m sprints we had done at our college track. And the thought of "This very well may kill me" found a way to pop in there too. But I ran it out and was happy to have run a hard mile's worth.

After some recovery Ryan said doing 5 of those was enough for him and so he'd just join me for whatever I was going to run at whatever speed I was going to run. I said that my legs felt rather tired but I was going to try for a moderate-hard mile and finish around 7:45 thought I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up just being a regular 8:00 mile. And then off we went, at a nice clip. We ended up doing that mile in 7:38 - which made me very happy.

We walked a cool down lap and went home, just in time - because the temperature was still falling and the air was crossing that line from breathable to too cold to suck in deep.

New Miles: 1.0 + 2.75
Total Miles: 1206.75
Miles Remaining: 293.25
Weight: 127.8

No comments:

Post a Comment