Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Two More Steps

I started out on the treadmill walking; knowing I had to do something but not exactly feeling like moving. I listened to PRI's The World as I walked along for two laps. Then I started jogging slowly and did that for a little and then I decided that since I was taking the time to do it I better just commit to it and actually run to help burn off some cookie calories.

I started off slowly, but then a story came on about Pia Sundhage and women's soccer and that was motivating in and of itself. I thought about how I am an athlete and I used to run a lot and run hard and play soccer so competitively, and I want to be that. And so I bumped it up more - but just to 6.5mph. And then I ran until the story ended.

In the story Pia Sundhage talked about taking two more steps, and that the American players always seem to find a way to take two more steps no matter how exhausted they are. I like that idea, and know how true that was back in my college soccer days. I know today I didn't run a lot or run very hard, but I did run - I took two more steps than I thought I would - it isn't a World Cup victory but I'll take this as a win on my mini-world scale. Total Workout: 2.0 in 22:28 1%.

To hear the story I listened to: http://www.theworld.org/2012/12/pia-sundhage/


If you play soccer you’ve probably heard of Pia Sundhage. But if you’ve got a daughter, heck, if you’ve got a son, who plays soccer, then they probably know her even better than you. Pia Sundhage was the coach of the US women’s national soccer team. They had a great run under Sundhage. World Cup finalists, gold medalists at the Olympics. But now Sundhage is back in her native Sweden, coaching the national women’s team there. The World caught up with Pia Sunhage during a US visit…and she talks about her tenure as the coach of the US women’s team, and her coaching style that focuses on positives, and on doubling one’s best effort.

New Miles: 2.0
Total Miles: 1237.0
Miles Remaining: 233.0
Weight: 128.0

No comments:

Post a Comment