Monday, December 3, 2012

Fast Mile: 6:53!

Today was a cloudy day with some rain, but it was 60 degrees when I got out of work! So I immediately went to the track to run. When I started there was no rain, then it started very very lightly so it was almost imperceptible, then it started misting, then it starting drizzling, and then it started raining.

I ran a warm up lap and stretched. Then as I got back into Lane 2 a couple came to the track and decided to run in Lane 1 and 2 in the opposite direction! Very annoying! Who does that?! (Actually more people than should.) So I stayed in Lane 2 as there were walkers in Lane 1 (ugh!) and Lane 3 and in the outside lanes. At least the man then moved to share Lane 1 with the woman, and I moved over a little or into Lane 3 each time we passed.

I ran 1.0 miles in 7:18 - which felt hard but good. Then I grabbed some water and did 10 lunges, 10 squats, and 10 push-ups. I then got back into Lane 2. After making such surprising good time that first mile I decided I wanted to try for an even better time -- not try to get the best mile time ever, but get something that felt good. I started off with doing 1:45 minute laps which was good, but on the 3rd lap I made up a little time and somehow did a really fast lap for the 4th one and finished the mile in 6:53!

I then did a cool down lap. Grabbed a little water. Then I geared up for some 100m sprints as the rain started misting and getting harder by the minute. I walked to the end of the straightaway (temporarily joining the wrong-direction runners but at least I wasn't in anyone's way). Then I pumped up April Smith and the Great Picture Show and ran 100m in 16 seconds. Then I turned around, walked back, waited for the 2 minute rest to be complete then I did it again - again in 16 seconds. I did that 2 more times - and each time doing it in 16 seconds. Then I ran 2 more laps at an easy jog to cool down - but then I did some butt kicks, high knees, high skips, side shuffles, and backwards runs along the way. Then I did 10 more lunges, 10 squats, 10 push-ups, grabbed a little water, grabbed a little stretch and then headed home.

And I am no longer sure what my record mile time is at this point but with a mile under 7 minutes I think this is one of my fastest mile times in a long while. Not perhaps in my entire personal history, but definitely along this 1500 Mile Journey.

I wore my Nike Free Twists and at first they felt like it might have been a bad choice, if I wanted to do distance and mundane miles, but definitely felt like the right choice as I focused on running fast and short bursts. My feet felt light and airy. Between them and the soft rain and 60 degrees it was a perfect night.

New Miles: 3.5
Total Miles: 1217.5
Miles Remaining: 282.5
Weight: 127.8

No comments:

Post a Comment