Sunday, July 8, 2012

Hilton Head Island

On Friday, June 29 my three sisters and one sister's boyfriend headed to Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. We got in late and so I didn't do much but sit all day. Total Workout: 0.0 miles

Saturday, June 30 - The true first day of vacation. I walked the half mile to the beach and at the end of the day I walked back. 1.0 miles. Total Workout: 1.0 miles.

Sunday, July 1 - Bridgette and I got up early and went on a run along the bike route/trail underneath palm trees. The more the morning advanced the more people appeared and the harder it was to run along the trail since it was filled with many other runners, walkers, and, worst of all, bike riders. It wouldn't be so bad if people were more considerate, but sadly many people thought that they were the most important person on the trail and so opted to just force you out of the way. We did at least 3.25 miles in 31:34. Distance was measured by the road length which corresponds rather poorly to the trail length since the trail winds left and right and up and down a bit. I walked to the beach and back adding on one more mile. Then later in the day we got bikes and subsequent trips to the beach were biked, and therefore, not counted in my Journey's total. Total Workout: 4.25 miles.

Monday, July 2 - I got up early and ran to the beach, covering the half mile in 4:30. Then I ran the beach out and back in 40:07. At the end of the "out" part I paused for a minute and rested. Then I turned and ran back. As the crow flies I ran 4.0 miles. As the tide ebbs I know I did more. But since I cannot know exactly how much more I am not counting the distance. It is times like these that I wish I had a GPS watch or other device that would track my actual distance covered. Total Workout: 5.0 miles.


Tuesday, July 3 - I slept in longer than I had wanted to but despite the heat went beach running anyways. I did the usual run to the beach (and later the jog/walk back). I did 2.0 miles in 19:13. Then I did an extra .25 mile walk and enjoyed some barefoot time in the sand and ocean. Total Workout: 3.25 miles.

Wednesday, July 4 - Ran to the beach and turned right and ran southwest, my usual way. I ran out for 1.5 miles and back for 1.5 miles. Like the other days I competed against myself - I tried to make it back faster than I made it out. So each time I did shave off a little time, but also since I was running the beach and not just following a pre-defined trail perhaps I just didn't dip and turn and do as much extra running on the way back as I did on the way out. Again, I have no idea of knowing. But the thought that I ran faster makes me feel better. And that counts for something. Then at night we rode our bikes over to Harbourtown to see the fireworks. It was a 30ish minute trip out and a 40ish minute trip back; we covered a decent amount of distance. On the way out we saw an alligator. On the way back we barely saw anything at all. Total Workout: 4.0 + 1 Hour Bike Adventure Time!

Thursday, July 5 - Walked to the beach with some jogging in there with my camera to catch the sunrise. I enjoyed the quiet, calm, rising sun, and then shore objects for 2 hours. Several hundred pictures later I walked back. Total Workout: 1.0 miles.


Friday, July 6 - Up and off to the beach for my final beach run. I ran just over 1.5 on the way out in 15:15 and made the trip back speedily - finishing the 3.0 miles in 29:35. I did some extra beach walking and relaxing. Total Workout: 4.25+ miles.

Saturday, July 7 - I went to the beach again to witness the sunrise. Emily and Alanna came too and we did our best to run to the beach to make sure we made it in time. We did. It was beautiful. Then we sat in the car for many hours on our way home. Total Workout: 1.0 miles.


Sunday, July 8 - I was home and I did nothing. It was my way of denying "real life" again and refusing to let go of the specialness that is vacation.

New Miles: 1.0 + 4.25 + 5.0 + 3.25 + 4.0 + 1.0 + 4.25 + 1.0 = 23.75
Total Miles: 929.25
Miles Remaining: 570.75
Weight: N/A (around 130.0)

No comments:

Post a Comment