Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Shake It Up Call

As I prepared for a quick trip to Dick's Sporting Goods for some new running shoes I was reflecting on this journey I am on and how my monthly resolutions are going. I am not doing so good on the beer end of things, way too many special occasions seem to be happening. But I am doing good on the daily walking and the 3 bad things per week bit. I started thinking about how I went from giving myself a Wake Up Call back in November 2010 and how these monthly resolutions are like a Shake It Up Call so I don't get complacent and so that I make sure to stay on track.

Reflection complete I headed over to Dick's where I looked for my new running shoes. I have decided I also want to shake up my running like Ryan has been doing and switching out my running shoes on some runs. He has his Nike LunarGlides along with New Balance Minimus and Somnio super-minimus and depending on his work out he picks a shoe. Now I don't plan on going full <=> and working down to the trendy barefoot running, but I do want some variation.

With that in mind I found a pair just like my current ones - LunarGlide +2 - but these ones were black with some gold and had "BURGH" on the tongue and some cool "Pittsburgh Marathon 2011" on the inside sole. They were too cool to pass by. Reasons I bought them: 1) They were super cool. 2) I know I like my current shoe and these ones also felt good. 3) Fear of Nike no longer making the shoe I like when I go to buy my next pair. 4) Anything with "Pittsburgh" usually gets me every time.

There was a shoe-down (show down between me and shoes and decision making) between these Burgh ones and Adidas adizero shoes -- the same ones I liked the last time. The Adidas ones felts better than I remember them feeling and I thought they would provide great variation to my running. The inner part of the shoe is solid black and the outer part is super bright pink with black Adidas stripes. Reasons I bought them: 1) They were super cool. 2) They were fun and funky. 3) They will a great Shake It Up shoe.

So I walked out of the store with 2 new pairs of shoes. Reasons I bought them: 1) Both were on sale and I had a $15 off coupon. 

In the evening I went to a Soccer Coach's Clinic put on by the soccer club I am assistant coaching for again; kicked a little and did a few small things. Then when I got home I went to run but my right ankle was not cooperating; it felt like it needed to crack a few times and reset itself. So between that and my knee I turned around and went home. Once inside I put on my new Adidas adizeros and hopped onto the treadmill - I walked a little and then wanted to test out the shoe so I ran a little. I did half a mile in 6 minutes. The shoes felt good, or as far as I could tell given the oddness of my ankle and knee. Did 50 straight reps of the 15lb kettlebells. Did 130 crunches.

New Miles: 0.5
Total Miles: 384.75
Miles Remaining: 1115.25
Weight: 137.6 (pre-dinner); 140.8 (after a few ounces of orange juice, small bowl of cereal, moderate portion of spaghetti, glass of chocolate milk, 2 glasses of water, chips and salsa).

No comments:

Post a Comment