Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fight the Soreness Walk

On Sunday, March 13 I played touch football with my flag football team for 1.5 hours. It was a decent work out and good cross-training with lots of lateral movement. The problem was it had lots of lateral movement. At one point I hurt my right ankle and knew that once I stopped I would get stiff and sore. I contemplated stopping but then sucked it and kept playing. Then came Monday morning where I attempted to walk out of bed and could not walk; pressure on my ankle hurt and I could not bend it. I hobbled around for 15 minutes when a series of loud, painful cracks occurred in my ankle. And then I was able to walk again. Then thru out the day my foot kept going back and forth between being fine to walk and not. I contemplated retiring from flag football, just one practice in. We shall see how masochistic I end up being.

Today after hobbling around with full-body muscle soreness and continued ankle pain I decided to get 0.5 miles of recovery walking in. I somehow managed a .5 mile walk in 7:15 (4.2/4.2mph pace). Then I sat and stretched my legs for a few minutes. Then I balanced on the trampoline to strengthen my ankle for 10 minutes, because I obviously need a lot of work in this area.

It is an odd moment for me where I need to possibly retire from sports or continue with trying to strengthen my ankle slowly but toss in some demanding days where I annihilate my ankle. I feel as though I know I should go the route where I just focus on doing running for the rest of my life, or at least for a while, and don't make unnecessary demands on my ankle aka retire from sports... but that is easier said than accepted and done.

New Miles: 0.5
Total Miles: 123.5
Miles Remaining: 1376.5
Weight: 142.2

No comments:

Post a Comment