Friday, January 28, 2011

Marathoning for Mortals

My new book arrived in the mail on January 26th - "Marathoning for Mortals" by John Bingham and Jenny Hadfield. I bought it A) because it had to do with running, B) because I'm a mortal, and C) because the subtitle is "A regular person's guide to the joy of running or walking a half-marathon or marathon" - and I am a regular person who will be running a half-marathon (with a back-up plan of walking). Upon flipping thru the book I noticed some training plans which will be excellent to have. Additionally I saw a page that reiterated "Don't try anything new on race day." which made me chuckle as for my last half-marathon everything was new on race day - from getting up, to selecting an outfit, to 'warming' up, to actually moving my body 13.1 miles. This time around I am determined to be prepared!

January 28th - In risk of egging on a migraine that I've held at bay for the past two days I decided that I would walk one mile. It wouldn't be as demanding as running and I would at least be doing something. And so I walked. Whilst walking I remembered I am starting to have mini-ab muscles below my exterior of fat and so I concentrated on holding them tight for the walk - this concentration paid off big, as I felt that my core was stronger and it took some effort off my legs. It also afforded me a stroll down memory lane - it took me back to being fit and in soccer-shape where my core was strong and running was practically effortless because my whole body was working as a whole with one goal. It was nice to get a glimpse of what I can be again, and I want to be there! I enjoyed the feeling so much that instead of stopping at one I continued on and did 1.5 miles in 21:23 245cals.

I also did 5 15lb kettlebell throws with my right arm and 10 with my left; I am pretty sure my right arm is still kind of injured from that workout a little bit ago.

Most motivating song heard during the workout: The Strokes "Heart in a Cage"

New Miles: 1.5
Total Miles: 57.5
Miles Remaining: 1442.5
Weight: 146.6

Yes I am aware that I seem to be gaining weight now that I am exercising; I am pretty sure this is just how my body works and at this point this is just an exercise program not a diet and exercise program. Though considering my progress up the scale I may want to consider adding in the smart diet part.


No comments:

Post a Comment