Sunday, January 16, 2011

First True Run

Ryan's Familiar Favorite again, because I haven't done all 6.2 miles in one workout. I definitely need to either do all 6 or change which route is my next one. I do like this route though because it starts off semi-steep during my walking warm up and then flattens out again for the next 2.5 miles; so when I am ready to run it is nice and flat.

The 6.0mph+ pace has had a high Intimidation Factor for me, and so I decided that today was the day that this ended. So off I went, drinking a little water after every mile and bumping up the pace bit by bit. I completed 4.0 miles in 44:37 474 cals. But what was key was what happened between mile 2 and mile 3 - I ran! It was an actual run-run, a true run, where I pushed myself to go and fought the tiredness in my legs and the burning in my lungs.

Split times:
1.0 13:22 127 cals
2.0 23:36 242 (6.0mph)
3.0 33:08 356 (6.4 and 6.6mph!)

I kept telling myself "One more lap" or "1 more minute" to keep going, and go I did. Every time I think of how much I have left I wave of tiredness pulses down my legs and makes them tired. This mental message causes my legs to get tired but I think it is also preparing them to do the last bit it needs to do. What I hope is that I can train my legs to receive these messages and not be phased; so some day, some number of months from now I hope my mental message of "1 lap left" pulses thru my legs as "Why just 1 more?" I look forward this day.

Post-run I grabbed the 15lb kettlebell and did 10 throws each arm. Then I did plyometrics - 10 lunges each leg, 10 squats, and 20 step to the side and do a wide squat. Then I rolled out my yoga mat in the living room to finish up with some crunches, and then after a minute of just laying on the ground huffing and puffing I crunched out 150.

I definitely earned my shower today. 

New Miles: 4.0
Total Miles: 45.5
Miles Remaining:  1555.5
Weight: 144.2 (I must have lost a lot of water weight as prior to the run I weighed in at 146.4)

No comments:

Post a Comment