Sunday, June 23, 2013

My 1500th Mile - A Journey Complete!

With temps in the upper 80s Saturday was no day to walk. Today was barely better, but only because it was still bright and early when we all gathered round and ate breakfast and discussed walking. A number of people were on board from the first mention (Bridgette, Dan, Charlie, Rory, Devin, Alanna, Kyle), with a few hesitant participants (Emily) who were convinced to join. And one tricked participate (Sean) who has just awoken as we were heading out and was told our uncle has seen something interesting just up the road for us to check out.

Initially I had talked about doing just 1.0 miles, and got everyone on board with that. Because I know I did at least 0.5 miles walking around all weekend. But then I figured if I was going to count that I could really count a lot more and would probably have less than one mile left. So in a decision to make it even and a true, well-measured final 1.5 miles I decided we'd just walk 1.5 miles and all, except for Bridgette who agreed to my plan, would be none-the-wiser.

The day was already toasty in the sun, but luckily much of the walk was up a gravel road in the shade. How we ended up walking was in three groups, with individual and cross discussions happening. The pace was a light walk, which was well and good because the purpose was not to do it for time but for the time together. We saw a deer cross the road, a run down trailer we said was Alanna's, a half dead frog that I made fully dead (by accident, I was told I tramped on it after the fact and that Em had seen a leg twitching), and a yard with a small railroad track in it.

We reached a driveway which was 0.75 miles out from the house, and so the turn around point, and we all got a fit of the giggles and just couldn't stop laughing. It all started as we thought about what Sean must be thinking, since we never came across the interesting thing he thought he was going to see. We kept laughing for a solid minute, or even more. I never did hear what Sean's reaction was other than I believe he said, "What is happening?" as we turned around.

Dan asked what my favorite mile was, and it is a provocative question. I said, "Each one was special in its own way." in a voice not unlike a mother who has been asked to pick her favorite kid. And despite providing the quick-and-easy response for humor, there is a truth to it. I could not reach 1500 miles without each individual mile that has made up this journey. Some I loved doing for myself, some I loved to do with others, and some I did because I had to do them (for myself). Some made me think, some made me appreciate life and my abilities to walk and run, and some were a struggle. But each one contributed to my progress in getting back to me being me. I am fit. I am healthy. My life is back on track. My life has exciting opportunities ahead of me.

As Rory so insightfully pointed out - this is not my final mile, as when I finish it it's not that I would instantly be paralyzed and never able to walk again. And gratefully so! It is just the completion of a goal, set for myself and gratefully achieved. I will keep running, walking, and journeying. It's just on to the next mile.

Within a few dozen yards of the driveway, and the end point of my 1500.0 miles, the group started a slow clap. It was such a loving gesture and filled my heart with happiness and I felt the love. The clapping got faster and faster and then it died out when I still had about 6 feet to go. I said I wasn't finished yet and to keep clapping, and laughed. Rory said, "Hey. It feels like we've slowed down." And I am sure we did slow down, because when someone is slow-clapping for you see if you hurry up and complete the thing that has made them clap really loudly for you. Do you want that clapping to end any sooner than it has to? They all started clapping again and laughed -- the laughter and clapping carrying me through those last few feet.

Not everyone gets a walking ovation when they hit a milestone. Many accomplishments go unnoticed, unrecognized. And knowing that you have achieved the thing you set out to achieve is indeed rewarding in and of itself. However, if you have the chance to be with those that love and support you, it is also very nice to have your accomplishment recognized with clapping, laughter, and hugs.

On to the next mile!...

Everyone who walked my final mile with me! :) Such love!

New Miles: 1.5
Total Miles: 1500.0!
Miles Remaining: 0.0!
Weight: 142.8 (after a long, delicious weekend)

No comments:

Post a Comment