Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The couple that runs together has fun together

Sunny and 73 degrees - an amazing day! Early on in the day I put "Run! :)" on my To Do list. When I got home I changed and got ready to go. Ryan came home and I asked him if he wanted to run with me. He said no, as it was his day off. But then I sat around for 10 minutes and he eventually said he'd run with me. I'm glad I hung around to let him mull it over.

I filled up my 23oz Nathan water bottle and we headed out. As we walked down our drieway I told him, "You know what they say... The couple that runs together has fun together!" (And by what "they say" I meant it was something that I had just made up.) I walked up the hill, stretched a little, then we ran. We ran at a nice "slow" pace but it felt challenging - I was winded and it felt like I was exerting a lot of effort. After just over a mile in we took a 2 minute walking break. Then we ran again and went just about a mile and then took a 2 minute walking break. Then we ran and at the end I felt very tired and like I was running out of steam. To get myself thru the final part I told myself and Ryan that I was running to the hill and then walking the hill. As we got to the hill I told Ryan I was running it since I haven't been running much and so need to finish it out. I wanted to also say "And I am using the term "running" loosely - in this sense it just means "not walking"." But I was too winded and needing all my available air for the running.

I got to the top of the hill and lightly jogged around recovering as I waited for Ryan who was walking up the hill backwards. I did this for just under 1 minute and then I asked him if he was going to run again. He said no, so I turned and ran home to get a final run time. I got there in 31:31. Then I turned again and ran back up the hill and at the top I walked to Ryan, grabbed the water from him (since I decided he could hold it after mile 1 :) ) and walked a few steps past him, turned and walked with him. We walked up our driveway then down and back, cooling down for roughly 4 minutes.

Mostly running 3.0 miles was difficult. But I was proud of myself for doing it. In an ideal pregnancy I would like to maintain an ability to do 3.0 miles. I'd prefer to not have to struggle through all 3 of them. But if I could manage to continue doing 3 miles that means I can do 5Ks and I would like to have that be my base level of fitness. We'll see how it all goes - I'm sure later in pregnancy I'll realize the body does and doesn't do whatever it wants and that is more powerful than brain power. But I am hoping I can keep doing 3.0 miles - walking and/or running for as long as possible.

Total Workout: 3.25 miles in 31:31+.

New Miles: 3.25
Total Miles: 1437.0
Miles Remaining: 63.0
Weight: 128.8

No comments:

Post a Comment