Sunday, August 12, 2012

6 Miler

A nice wedding weekend filled with over indulgence in delicious beverages and food led me 3 pounds heavier and feeling like blah. And also very very tired from lack of sleep. Ryan mentioned he was going to go on a run and that motivated me to change from my comfy clothes and put on some running gear.

And changing and putting on my shoes did the trick! It woke me up enough to actually feel like I could harness the energy to run and it helped nudge me into having more resolve to banish my blah feelings. Ryan stretched and talked about how he was going to do a 6 mile run because his Half Marathon CrossFit Workout training plan called for it. He told me where he'd be running and I decided I definitely could join him for at least the first 3 miles since it was an out-and-back (3.5 miles) then opposite direction out-and-back (2.5 miles) course which swung back near our house at that 'half way' point. He almost lost me though when he said his planned pace - somewhere between 8:00 and 8:30 miles. I didn't think I could do it. But I thought that for 3 miles I probably could. So eventually we were ready and we headed out the door.

It was fast but it was good. It didn't take too long to get warmed-up enough and it didn't take long for my lower calves to complain. My calves were more annoying then anything - not a true cramp since I could keep running, but tight and uncomfortable. We covered the first 3 miles in a roughly 8:00 pace. one of our miles was in 7:40! (The downhill mile, go figure.)

Around mile 2 I decided that I should run all 6 miles. At the 3.5 mile split I still felt good and so I definitely decided to keep going. It was fun running with Ryan on the warm but comfortable summer evening. The best innovation of our run was our decision on having the lead runner say "Hold" indicating we needed to stop for a car and "Run" when the coast was clear. This was better than "No" and "Go" since those two sounded too similar, and since the first time I misheard a "No" for a "Go" and almost stepped out in the road when a car was coming. The shoulder was narrow for most of teh run so we did run single-file for much of it. I let Ryan take the lead.

One of the final miles was all uphill, a gradual painful one. It took almost all of my remaining reserves to get up that hill. Then it leveled out and I recovered within a few minutes and was able to finish out the final half mile just fine.

We finished our 6 Miler in 49:06! Averaging a pace of 8:11! I felt really good about that time and it was encouraging to me as a sign of my fitness level. I hope not only will I be all set for the Half Marathon I just signed up for which occurs October 20, but I perhaps could have the chance to set a new Personal Record!

Total Workout: 6.0 miles in 49:06

New Miles: 6.0
Total Miles: 965.0
Miles Remaining: 535.0
Weight: 129.8

No comments:

Post a Comment