Sunday, July 31, 2011

Midwest Champions

Sunday, July 31 off to Detroit for the second divisional Gaelic Football game of the season. Temperature in the high 90s, with a feels like in the 100s, the men ran around for an hour in the sun and then on to the pitch we strolled. If we won we would win the Midwest Championship and not have to play a third game. The first half didn't look too promising; we never found our feet and at the whistle we were down by 3 points. In the first half I had one goal and one point, okay but I could do better.

Back on the pitch Detroit scored a goal right off the bat and then our girl got red-carded, leaving us down one man essentially for the entire second half. Then something miraculous happened - everything just clicked for us. We started winning every ball and we just seemed to have the positioning on every play. I discovered I had two marks on me -  I assume their strategy was to preserve their lead and walk away with a win rather than continue to be aggressive up field and get more points. Turns out it was a bad strategy for them. Once we clicked on there was no turning us off. I scored 3 goals in the second half. And though I lost track of the score I knew it was getting close and sure enough with 3 minutes left the ref informed me we, the Banshees, were up by 2 points. Those last 3 minutes were a feat of great ball control and point scoring. At the final whistle we were up and we had won by 9 points! Final Score: 27-16.

A great "Cross training" day where I was in a position that allowed me to run free and at will but largely in 50 yard sprints. Unknown distance.

New Miles: Unknown
Total Miles: Same as before
Miles Remaining: Same as before
Weight: NA/141.0+ (the Thursday thru Saturday was a disastrous affair of eating large quantities of bad things)

No comments:

Post a Comment