Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Think and Daydream

After my last run I decided I would tackle my running with some strategy so I could see my progress and feel the progress. I will run 3.0 miles without stopping and over time increase the pace at which I run it.

So before I treaded it up today I told my scheme to Ryan and then Ryan told me to increase my pace to 6.0mph. I told him that was too drastic of an increase, I just completed my first non-stop 3.0 at 5.4mph, and yes it felt doable but 6.0? I don't think so. My thought was that I would increase my pace by 0.1 each time I did 3.0 eventually working my way up to 6.0+. Ryan has other plans for me; he's a good challenging alter-ego.

And so I compromised between Ryan's unreasonable expectations and my realistic plans, and ran at 5.7mph 10:31 mile pace. I did the first 1.75 at 0.5% incline and the last 1.25 at 1.0% incline; completing my 3.0 in 31:33. I had walked .25 warm-up then did another .25 cool down; doing 3.5 miles total in 39:02 564cals. The pace felt good; which is why I increased the incline for the last part.

Running for a while gives you time to think and daydream and then think again. And amidst the thinking parts I somehow thought it was a good idea to do a sprint workout after I ended my 3.0 run. This is what my brain came up with: Run at 6.0mph for 1 min, recover for 30 seconds at 5.0mph, run at 7.0mph for 1 min, recover for 30 seconds at 5.0mph, run at 8.0mph for 1 minute, recover for 30 seconds at 5.0mph, run at 8.5mph for 1 minute, recover for 1 minute at 5.0mph, run at 9.0mph for 1 minute, recover. This aggressive thinking lead me to do one more mile for a total of 4.5 miles in 48:25 724cals (at 1.0% incline). Then I spent 0.5 miles recovering.

The internet later informed me that 9.0mph is 6:40 mile pace (since I hadn't had time to look while doing it); but one minute of that was more than enough and I think I only managed it because unlike running on earth the treadmill moves the earth under your feet - so as long as I kept picking up my feet I could assure myself I wouldn't fly off the back of the treadmill at 9.0mph.

Total Workout: 5.0 miles in 55:21 803cals.

I then balanced on the trampoline for 1.5 songs; focusing most of my effort on my weak right ankle, even adding in some one-footed jumping to see what that was like (it was weak and sad). Then I rolled out my yoga mat on the living room floor and did 20 girl push-ups and 100 crunches and then stretched out and drank some water. Within 15 minutes I already got sore; leaving me to believe that my "off day" tomorrow may feel interesting.

New Miles: 5.0
Total Miles: 96.5
Miles Remaining: 1403.5
Weight: 147.2 (post-workout weight: 145.6)

No comments:

Post a Comment