Monday, February 21, 2011

My Conscience Named Ryan

As I slumped on the couch mindlessly watching a hockey game I thought I would be going to bed as soon as it ended. And then my conscience named Ryan said "I think you should run 2.0 miles." And I said "I think I should too, but I am going to bed." This followed from an earlier conversation during the night where I found myself telling him how I've struggled to run more than one mile consecutively, and though I like stopping I feel as though I will never get truly fit unless I string together multiple miles. And so after my conscience said this he left me to idle on the couch and ponder, which I did for 20 minutes mustering up the "Yeah, I'm gonna go do two miles without stopping!" courage and energy.

So lo and behold I found myself on the treadmill at 10:30pm. Walked 0.25 for a warm-up then stretched, took a deep breath, and set the pace at 5.4mph (11:06). I put my head down and avoided tracking the time or distance, telling myself that in 5 songs I would look up and see where I was. So at 4.5 songs I looked up and was so close to having completed 2.0 miles without stopping. And at that point Ryan's other words went thru my head "I try not to stop so my body doesn't get used to stopping; I wanted to stop at 2.0 yesterday but kept going for 3.0." And I was feeling good, plowing along at a moderate pace, not breathing heavily and having concentrated on playing slower songs to match my pace. And so my own conscience spoke up and told me "Do 3.0." and so head down again I kept going. At the end of 3.0, meaning I ran 33:18 without stopping, I cooled down for .25 to round out the workout. Total Workout: 3.5 in 40:36, 3.0 of which was a venture in the world of non-stop movement.

New Miles: 3.5
Total Miles: 91.5
Miles Remaining: 1408.5
Weight: 147.4

No comments:

Post a Comment