Wednesday, October 12, 2011

To Spite Myself

Rainy day with gray light. Pretty much no motivation to do anything. But I had told myself I would run today, so a little after 7pm I hopped onto the treadmill and set out to do a minimum of 3. I set it to 0.5% incline and started with a walk and quickly transitioned up to a run, did .5 miles then walked for a minute, did another .5 miles and walked for over a minute, got close to 1.5 and walked. Then from 1.5 to 2.0 I ran and kept mentally trying to break myself thru the desire to stop and walk at 2.

I worked hard for that .5 miles and did manage to tell myself "Look, you are only doing 3 miles. At most that is another 10 minutes. So you better run this." And run on I did. Finally at mile 2.8 I passed the point where I didn't have to constantly tell myself I wanted to run and had to run, I actually wanted to run. Go figure. You tell your brain you are doing 3 so when you close in on that 3 your brain gets happy. It also helps to have finally found a motivating instrumental song that I looped. So I ran it out until mile 3.1 just to spite myself, err, challenge myself. Then I walked to 3.3 and was so re-motivated to run  that I took it back up to a jog and did .5 at 5.5mph. Then I walked it out to 4.0.

Most Motivating Songs:
The Known World "Synesethsia" (3x) - This is the one that got me into the mood to run.
The Shins "Sleeping Lessons" - This is the one that took me from my cool down walk back into a jog.
Ram Jam "Black Betty" - This is the one that waxed me nostalgic for soccer and I couldn't help but want to keep running as I cooled down.

New Miles: 4.0
Total Miles: 456.5
Miles Remaining: 1043.5
Weight: 139.6

No comments:

Post a Comment