Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Rest & Relaxation & Running

From June 20-June 24 I was in Ocean City, Maryland with my sisters for some R&R&R - Rest & Relaxation & Running.

June 20 - Up at 5:30am and then from 6-7am I ran south on the boardwalk. I did 1.25 miles with stops each quarter mile for stretching. Then I ran north on the boardwalk. I did 1 mile in 7:29 -- Record time!! It was difficult too since the boards were slick from an early morning rain. I ran for another quarter mile and the I walked for 1 mile. Then I ran .75 at 8 minute pace and walked .25 for a cool down. Total: 4.5 miles. Then Bridgette woke up and we went walking - walked 2 miles and ran 1.0. Total Workout: 7.5 miles

June 21 - Out for a walk at 7:30am with Bridgette south to the pier and back up the beach. Total: 3.0 miles. Then through out the day I walked places but failed to note how far I went.

June 22 - Up at 5:30am and watched the sunrise again and went running at 6:15. I did .75 with stretches each quarter. I have discovered I definitely need to warm up in this way - and it takes roughly 1 mile to get warmed-up. Then I ran 1 mile solid in 8:02; half mile split time was 3:48. Then I walked for .5 then I ran 1 mile solid in 7:43. Did a .75 jog/walk/sit/walk-stretch cool down. Total: 4.0. Then Bridgette got up and I we did a walk-and-talk 3.0 miles. Then during the day I walked in search of Salt water Taffy for 2.0 miles and returned unsuccessful. Then we walked to dinner and back for another 1.5 miles.  Then at night I walked another 2.0 miles and bought Salt Water Taffy. Total: 12.5

June 23 - Me and all my sisters awoke at 5:30am and we watched the sunrise over the ocean. I then went running. .75 north with quarterly stretching. Then 1.0 south against the wind in 7:20!!! New record!! Did a .25 "get air into your lungs" walk. Then I did a 1.5 mile run at roughly 9:20 pace behind Bridgette and Alanna who were booking it at about 8 minute pace. Then we walked out onto the pier and looked at the ocean from above the ocean. As Bridgette ran back and set a personal record of 1.0 mile in 6:26! Alanna and I walked back for 1.25 miles. We returned to the hotel and then I, Alanna, and Emily went walking 1.0 to get coffee and then north again another 1.0 miles ...All before 9:00am!  Total: 8.75 Then in the evening we drove to Washington DC and then from 10:00-12:00am we walked around the Mall and saw various memorials.

June 24 - We all walked around Washington DC visiting a museum and seeing some memorials. Amount walked unknown but my legs were dead tired.

Now how did I know how much I ran you may ask. Well the nice thing about the Ocean City Boardwalk is that it has running mile markers at every quarter mile and the whole section we were on was 2.25 miles. I bounced back and forth between all them on my runs and walks and started at a sign each time as there was one right outside our hotel. It was really convenient and was great for running fast and trying to get in quick miles without having to use mental energy on tracking laps - just run straight for a while and stop by a sign that is one mile from the one you started at. 

I thoroughly enjoyed my runs on the boardwalk and waking up early. It was just me, the breeze, the new day sun, the ocean waving hello and lapping the shore, and about 20 other early morning souls. It was an atmosphere where the mind can wander and even better just turn off and not think at all. 

New Miles: 7.5 + 3.0 + 12.5 + 8.75 = 31.75
Total Miles: 328.75
Miles Remaining: 1171.25
Weight: NA (more and more since I ate lots of funnel cake!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment