Friday, June 10, 2011

Face to Face with a Ghost

With Ryan my co-workout manager today brought me face to face with Peterson's Ghost, well actually face to face with half of the ghost.

This is Peterson's Ghost: Run:2 x 1 mile rest 3 min between intervals, 2 x 800 rest 2 min between intervals, 2 x 400m rest 90 sec between intervals, Rest 3-5 min,  1 mile TT rest 3 min, 2 x 800 holding 1 mile TT pace -5 sec pace per mile rest 2 min, 2 x 400m holding 1 mile TT pace -10 sec pace per mil

This is what I did (at a different track than the usual): Half of the workout maintaining the same rest intervals. The Result? Excellent difficult workout that left me with wobbly legs.
1 mile =  7:44!
800m = 3:50
400m = 1:44 (this equates to 6:58 mile pace!)
1 mile = 9:25
800m = 4:25
400m = 1:44

By the end I had a moment, around the last bend of the last lap, where I finally felt like I was running fast again and it felt good. Good like you are moving effortlessly and your body is just going to the end point rather than feeling each individual step you take. I have not experienced this feeling in such a long time - it's been years. So despite the fact my legs were spent I was so happy.  

This was an amazing end since considering after mile 1 I ended up laying on the ground exhausted figuring I would not do any more. I must have looked pretty bad because by the time I finally got up and was ready to run again a man in his early 40s passed by and asked me if I was okay.  I appreciated the concern and I appreciated my body was awesome enough to recover. Good job me.

With a warm-up lap and a cool down lap I had a Total Workout of 4.0 miles. Additionally, I recently created a goal for myself: Do a mile at 8:30 or under. As I was running mile 1 and keeping at 2 minute laps I realized today was my opportunity to get an 8:00 minute mile. And lo and behold going into my last lap I saw that if I didn't give up I could get sub-8:00 -- and so that was such a motivating factor I didn't let myself let up - and somehow I pushed it out in 7:44! I just impressed myself.

Most Motivating Song: The Killers "Change Your Mind" - the only song I listened to the whole time; each time I started a run I started this song. It was perfect for today!

Also: Find a good Pace Calculator at http://www.runningbuzz.com/pace_calculator.htm

New Miles: 4.0
Total Miles: 289.0
Miles Remaining: 1211.0
Weight: 138.8

No comments:

Post a Comment