Sunday, May 15, 2011

Half Marathon: 2:06:46!

Up and at 'em at 5:00am. Put on my outfit which was all laid out and ready for me. Then out the door with Ryan at 5:30 off to the North Shore of Pittsburgh. Fueled up on half of a banana, a disgusting GU energy gel, and peanut butter on whole grain toast. Walked to the downtown area and used the Porta-Johns. Then we stretched some and went our separate ways - Ryan to the faster Coral B, me to the medium-paced Corral D. There I ran into my friend Darcy and so we located the 4:20 Marathon pacer - meaning a 2:10 Half Marathon pace and started there. One Star-Spangled Banner and several minutes of waiting later - we were off!

I ran with Darcy the first 2 miles at 10:00 pace. Then I headed off on my own and did some walking but mostly ran, making up for some lost time later since I had walked a bit more than expected. But soon I was back on track with keeping 10:00 pace minimums and then ever increasing speed, soon averaging 9:18 miles. At mile 6 I was solid on 10:00 pace; at the 10K split I was at 1:01:52.

Then the second half of the Half I felt faster and faster and felt better and better; other then my right groin feeling a bit sore (and needing to stretch that from time to time) and an actual pain in the butt on my right side which was there the whole time but more noticeable in the later miles.

At the Half Marathon-Full Marathon split I heard shouts of "Mo! Mo!" and I looked over and my friend Nikki was waving and shouting. So I wished her luck as my course split left and she kept on straight. Little did I know that Ryan had been running with Nikki and so a few minutes later I noticed a man running steadily on my left and turned to see Ryan! So from mile 10.5 til the end Ryan and I ran together. It was a wonderful surprise and great for motivation, and I am pretty sure the only time we will ever run and finish a Half together since he usually is much faster than me.

As I strolled thru the course, steady, strong, and comfortable Ryan had a completely different experience. First, yesterday he participated in a Gaelic Football 7-a-side tournament and made it to the finals and in that game he was kneed in the thigh -so he had a charlie horse to fend off. Second, as he was strolling along at mile 4 a girl passed out and face planted on the sidewalk in front of him. He shouted "Medic!" but no one was around so he back tracked 150 yards thru the course to the last police officer he had seen to get her help. Third, at that point he gave up, took off his bib and then started walking back to the car -- when he passed our friend Nikki and her friend Erin. So he put his bib back on and joined them and ran with them until he found me.

As we pushed out the last few miles it felt really good; quick pace, end in sight, none-dead legs. As we crossed together-ish Ryan said "Finish this out Mo!" and I pushed it out across the finish. Total: 13.1 in 2:06:46. Ryan finished in 2:13:31.

As we collected all the goodies - the medal, the blanket, the banana, the Eat n' Park cookie, the Panera cinnamon crunch bagel, the cup of Dole fruit - and we were about to leave I heard some shouts from 3 feet away of "Maur!" and I turned and Bridgette was there! She amazingly finished in 2:43:10, starting at 6:00am with the walkers and keeping quick pace there then taking on the challenge of running around mile 10. Ryan and I calculated out her pace and my pace and we figure I'd see her around mile 10 if she and I were doing well, and when I didn't see her I feared she had dropped out because her knee couldn't do it -- so I was so surprised and relieved and happy and proud to see not only that she completed it but that she had done so well!


Total Workout today was more than just 13.1, as plus the walk to the Start and the walk from the Finish = .65ish each way x 2 = 1.3ish = 14.5 miles.



Half Marathon Personal Record: 2:06:46!

I felt proud of me!

New Miles: 14.5
Total Miles: 254.75
Miles Remaining: 1245.25
Weight: 136.4 (pre-Half); 134.8 (post-Half)


2:06:46
DistanceHALF MAR
Clock Time2:16:19
Chip Time2:06:46
Overall Place3183 / 8974
Gender Place1420 / 5563
Division Place371 / 1286
10K1:01:52
Divtotal1286
Sextotal5563
Pace9:41

No comments:

Post a Comment