Friday, December 3, 2010

First Attempt at Running

I moved three 1.0 mile courses to the top of my iFit queue; so I could receive new scenery with every mile in the hopes to keep me going. I expected to briskly walk much of it and try my hand at jogging some to see how that would go, but immediately upon the start of my 3-mile-journey I discovered I was in for some expected territory but unexpected pace. I somehow hadn't created 3.0mph steady courses but rather the computer decided for me, and thus began my accidental foray into running.

Turns out I can surprise myself from time to time. I fought the increased pace for the first 2 minutes and then decided "I got to start running some time so why not today?" And lo and behold I found myself running around the streets of Bruges, Belgium at 6.5mph pace for few minutes. I pulled up the elevation display so I could see the pace surprises that were in store and sadly I forgot to watch the GoogleMap of beloved Bruges for much of the 1.0miles.

Overall impression of running: I am pretty certain the left side of my body suffered a stroke; my heart was straining and not from pumping too much but literally felt as though I was pulling a muscle and my left arm pinched a nerve up to my neck. So all in all I didn't pass out or appear to have suffered permanent damage, and I finished the mile in 10:58 and 117cals - so it was "successful".

After a little breather which included a strange side venture into talking into the woodstove while my husband listened on the roof to determine how best to proceed with enhancing our other fireplace, I returned to my NordicTrack1750 for round 2. The Atlantic City Boardwalk in New Jersey of 0% incline and max speed of 6.5mph, which I toned back to 5.0mph, had me finishing my second mile in 12:20 117cals.

Enjoyed a Cardio break by working out my arms and abs. 10 x 10lb kettlebell and 100 crunches.

Then came mile 3, which was momentarily contemplated in the "Don't do" activities of life, on the shores of Presque Isle, Lake Erie, Pennsylvania. I'll call it the competitor in me but it may be the masochist, I ran half of this at 6.5mph and completed 1.0 miles in 10:40, 116cals.

I wrapped it all up in a cool down of lifting my 5lb weights in several different ways til I decided it was enough; about 6 different activities of 10 reps each, including Bicep curl, Overhead Dumbbell Tricep Extension, Overhead Dummbell Press, Front Deltoid Raises, and quick punches.

Bruges, Belgium


Atlantic City Boardwalk, New Jersey


Presque Isle, Lake Erie, Pennsylvania









New Miles: 3.0
Total Miles: 12.5
Miles Remaining: 1487.5
Weight: 141.6

No comments:

Post a Comment