Sunday, November 7, 2010

Who Am I?

Mo. Female. Age 26. Current Fitness Level: 0. 

After a lifetime of participating in sports I have let my fitness slip in the last few years. I played soccer through high school and college, and now at age 26, four years after graduating from college, I am at a point where I need to jump back in to what I have always known - exercising, running, and feeling healthy.

I was a co-captain of my college soccer team and finished my college career in the best shape of my life; able to run 8 miles no sweat, lift my 15lb free weights easily, and actually looking forward to the next opportunity to run or workout. I carried that with me the following-year, continuing to run and exercise, through 2006. I was never much of a distance runner, usually getting all my fitness from competitive sports, and so setting out to just run for the sake of running was difficult but I did find joy in going on quick 2-3 mile runs.

Then in 2007 I got lazy. I stopped running. I gained weight. In the Fall of 2008 I attempted to get myself back into things and I was running and cross-training steadily until March 2009 when I broke my right ankle playing co-ed indoor soccer. The injury sidelined me until June 2009 when I could finally walk again, and in August 2009 I was cleared to run again. I spent Fall 2009 going to the track and walk-running, but never getting myself motivated enough to go regularly or go far.

I signed up for the 2010 Pittsburgh Half Marathon hoping to motivate myself with an end target and leading up to it I sat and did nothing. In May 2010 I somehow successfully completed the Pittsburgh Half Marathon (13.1 miles) in 2:18:49. Then for the next few months I went running from time to time but never more than 3 miles and sometimes completing just 1 mile was a challenge.

This brings me to present day - where I have decided enough is enough. Enough sitting and being lazy. Enough sitting and feeling my heart and lungs get weaker and weaker. Enough not having arm strength or ab strength. Enough of nothing. It is time for something. It is time for the Journey of 1500 Miles.

My goal is to achieve my target of walking/running a total of 1500 Miles, whether that all be on my treadmill or also outdoors is to be seen. I am going to track each mile and note other fitness activities I complete on my journey back to being me.


Me playing soccer in college, 2005


Me playing for the Pittsburgh Banshees, 2007

Me pointing at myself in a Pittsburgh Banshees team picture from 2003 at the Western Pennsylvania Sports History Museum, 2008

My Broken Ankle, March 2009

Me and Ryan, playing Curling, April 2009

My broken ankle post-cast, May 2009

Ryan and Me hiking the Austrian Alps on our Honeymoon, June 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment